Iva

The ULTIMATE Ibanez WH10 thread - to end all the others

563 posts in this topic

@Chili_Pat, I think they should show some honor, because it's a great pedal, totally screwed up by the company!

Anyway, how does the Fulltone sound?

^ Best wah pedal ever in my opinion. I love it.

Does it sound like the WH10? (I know, I'm addicted to that sound!)

And what about the Vox wahs?

Does it sound like the WH10? (I know, I'm addicted to that sound!)

And what about the Vox wahs? Do they sound good?

Haha, the Fulltone is based on the Vox wah. It sounds nothing like a WH10. It's much more vocal and mellow. Not that in-your-face-punchy-edge wah sound the WH10 creates :)

Damn... I think I like the Vox wahs too, but they're just not the same... For Hendrix they sound perfect in my opinion but not like a WH10

Hey this is my first post, not 100% sure it belongs in here but it seems you like guys know the score.So, I was going to go straight ahead and buy a Wh10v2, when i hear all these bad comments on it, tone suck, insane volume boost, too quacky etcSo I was wondering, what other Wah could get pretty close to that frusciante tone - under let's say £100

Or would it be cheaper to go ahead and buy a Wh10v2 for £80 and either attempt to mod it, to get rid of the tone suck and volume boost or take it to someone to mod for me (i've never modded anything, and wouldn't want to go and break the pedal and void the invalidate the warranty)

Here's my opinion. Being someone who wanted to save money I went with the WH10 V2 assuming I'd close enough to the Frusciante tone and be satisfied until I had money down the road to get exactly what I wanted. While it is true that the WH10 V2 will get you in the ballpark of Frusciante's tone, it comes with a high cost.

1. When people complain about the treble/volume boost, it isn't people just being picky. The boost is downright unbearable on your ears at most settings.

2. You will have to make significant changes to your pedal board if you go with the V2. The V2 in conjunction with any OD or distortion pedal is only going to make the volume/treble boost worse. So I ended up dedicating a distortion pedal in my chain for use only with the V2. I had to do this because the distortion and volume had to be turned WAY down to compensate for the V2 boost. And because of that you can't use that OD or distortion for anything else because it is WAY too quiet on its own.

3. Your pot will go bad sooner than later. Everyone complains about it, because it happens to everyone. You can clean it, but you will only be delaying the inevitable.

4.It's likely you will experience lots and lots of tone suck with this pedal as I did and many others have.

I spent way more time than I care to admit trying to make the V2 work for me, as I am stubborn and didn't heed the warns of warning from those around me. Save yourself the headache and go a different route.

My suggestion

If you want as close to JF's tone as possible without the headache. Go with the WILSON TEN SPOT II!!! I know it is more money, but even if you have to save for a year it would be worth it! The thing is built like a tank, and you get the ORIGINAL tone of the WH10 with an optional volume trimmer if you want to bring it down even lower. The guy who makes them (Kevin Wilson) isn't part of some huge company that doesn't care about you, his name is on the wah and he stands by his work. So if anything were to ever go wrong with it (less likely than the V2) he will work with you to get it taken care of. I think we can all agree it is way nicer to deal with the creator and builder of a product rather than some "trained" employee in an office who is gonna give you the run around. To me it is a no brainer. But that is me saying this after 6 months of headache and stubbornness! Good Luck!

My humble opinion:

1. The volume boost IS the point of the V2 as well as the original wh10. If you still think it is louder than you need just roll off the depth knob (because I think it really should be called 'level' or 'gain' knob).

2. The V2 and DS2 should be married. In my opinion the sound awesome together.

3. Yes, the pot quickly gets dusty and starts scratching which is really annoying indeed but i managed to resolve this issue thanks to the guys on this very message board (special thanks to Chili_Pat :) ) - I got the Reiniger 601 Kontakt Chemie cleaner and sprayed the pot from both sides and the scratches disappeared. You can spray it once in a while just as a precaution as I do now. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

4. The tone suck that one gets when the V2 is off to me is just signal loss. Just turn up the volume of your amp or guitar and it'll be ok..

5. I haven't tried the Wilson Wah. I'm sure it is great if everyone recommends it.

I know that I am just one person, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I started spraying my pot after 2 months of owning it, and that did the trick for about 4 months until the pot completely stopped working. And yes the volume boost IS what makes the WH10 what it is, but the V2 has much more and not in a good way in my opinion. My gripe with turning down the depth knob is that you lose depth! From my understanding with the original WH10 and for sure the Ten Spot is perfectly bearable with your depth at 10. I do agree that the DS-2 and WH10 should be married, but I just don't feel like the V2 is the best option out there, especially when time and time again you hear from people that it broke down on them within the first year or so.

Thanks for the replys, I think i'll give the Wh10v2 a miss.

What about a standard Crybaby GCB95 or a VOX V847? I don't really want to spend over £100 ideally.Also, i'm not trying to NAIL the tone, just get in the same ballpark.

Would either of them do the job?

Actually I also have a Crybaby 95Q which is basically I think a GCB95 with an addition boost control and a Q-control (for sweep) and it sounds indeed amazing when i play Cream's Tale Of Brave Ulysses for example :) ...but to my ears it can't compare to my V2 even when both boost and Q controls are maxed out and now I need to sell it cause I just don't play it... Still, the 95Q I think sounds amazing...

In the end, it is all subjective and the advice I can give is to try the V2, the Crybaby and the Vox and see which one suits your ears the most before you spend your money.

The Vox is complete different to the WH10, same goes for the Crybaby. The Crybaby from Hell has a fucking wide sweep (wider than the WH10) and it can sound awesome, there is a reason John used it along the WH10 on Stadium Arcadium. The version 2 without knobs and stuff could be possible for 100 pounds. The standard Crybaby is way too trebly, the Vox too mellow for you. Maybe a Fulltone Clyde wah? But ok, the price tag speaks his own language I think ;)

What about the Crybaby with Q-switch and volume pot? (gcb95Q I think?)

Well, the guy from our local music shop checked it one more time and he found out that the crackle is not a scratching pot but the (cheaper) components: when the wah is at some specific points, it boosts the frequenties that cause the components to distort. This is like just passed halfway.

Ever put your wah heel-down before an analog chorus? Well, this is the same idea.

Well, the guy from our local music shop checked it one more time and he found out that the crackle is not a scratching pot but the (cheaper) components: when the wah is at some specific points, it boosts the frequenties that cause the components to distort. This is like just passed halfway.

Ever put your wah heel-down before an analog chorus? Well, this is the same idea.

What about Ibanez WD7. Is it good? Can it sound like WH10?

I own a WH10V2 too but I'm thinking about sell it before it die.

The Weeping Demon? Well, I listened to that one too, if dialed in correctly you can come quite close to the WH10, however, it's cleans are not THAT great, and in some settings it can sound metallic. So, probably you'll have to dial it in very precisely to get a good sound.

Don't know if it would suit you. Maybe you should try it with your gear?

In the manual there's an example setting called "vintage" - with some more tweaking you will get a pretty nice WH10 sound out of it based on that setting :)

I dont have the time to watch it right now, but what does the guy in the video do? mods, or...?

This is how he described it:

'Mods I've done are:

true bypass [http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachment...]volume pot added (removing dry out)increasing sweep by removing the protrusion under the pedalimproving switch by removing thick rubber pad, and re-sitting the switch to my liking'

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy either an authentic Ibanez WH-10 or a WF-10 secondhand for a reasonable price.

My question is: is the WF-10 the same as the WH-10 with just a fuzz added or is the wah-function different?

I really wanna nail that awesome, deep, Fru-wahtone! :)

It is. You can dial in the q level in the bottom of the wah with a little trim poti (and the depth of the fuzz effect). The big knob on the outside is for the gain of the fuzz: 0 means fuzz off. So you will be able to get the Frusciante wah tone. And the WF10 is much more rare than the WH10, I would get the fuzz wah :)

Are there any famous guitar players other than John Frusciante and Josh who use the wh10 wah?