Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mibuffery

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Pedals

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone actuall have any photos of John's pedalboard from the 1991-92 era, there are loads of the 1989 board (Ce 1 ds2 wh10) but no where on the internet does it show the board he used for the BSSM tour, or the album (in definition at least) so if anyone could shed any light on this that would be great :)/>

I'm pretty sure I remember reading for the recording of BSSM, he used a Big Muff, WH 10 and and CE 1 and that was it.

/>I'm pretty sure I remember reading for the recording of BSSM, he used a Big Muff (...)

I am pretty sure, you are already wrong at this point, as he used the 1st version of the BOSS OD-1 pedal and a compressor pedal, but I don't remember which model.

Listening to the guitar master tracks of BSSM you will notice that almost every guitar has a small amount of the CE-1 Chorus in almost each song, which is pretty sweet.

EDIT: compressor should be an 80's MXR Dynacomp, as I remember correct.

/>

I'm pretty sure I remember reading for the recording of BSSM, he used a Big Muff (...)

I am pretty sure, you are already wrong at this point, as he used the 1st version of the BOSS OD-1 pedal and a compressor pedal, but I don't remember which model.

Listening to the guitar master tracks of BSSM you will notice that almost every guitar has a small amount of the CE-1 Chorus in almost each song, which is pretty sweet.

EDIT: compressor should be an 80's MXR Dynacomp, as I remember correct.

I also think that he used a Ce 1 live but on the record he used a DOD FX 65 Streo Chorus. He said it once in an interview:

" I like to keep things simple. Those MESA/Boogie amps were too hard for me to understand. For most of the basics, I used two Marshalls: a guitar head for edge and a bass head for punch and low end. I split the signal with a DOD stereo chorus pedal. For some overdubs I used a Fender H.O.T. practice amp, but for a lot of parts, even solos, I just went straight into the board. You can get amazing, funky tones that way. In fact, a lot of my distortion is from overdriving the board.

My main guitar was a ’58 Strat, though I used a Les Paul reissue on a couple of things. I also have a ’57 Strat, which someone had screwed up by putting on those big stupid frets that everyone uses these days. I vomited and told them to make it fretless. That’s what I used for the “Mellowship Slinky” solo. Some people think those big frets help your vibrato, but I make a point of using as little vibrato as possible, though I might do it more if I had long, pretty black hair. And I didn’t use any whammy bar.

That’s a Coral Electric Sitar on “Blood Sugar Sex Magik,” and I used an old Gibson lap steel for the solo at the beginning of “The Righteous and The Wicked.” My acoustic is a newish Martin steel-string. But my favorite guitar in the world is my old, fucked-up Fender Jaguar. The strings are all crusty, and the notes crap out when you bend them. I used it to write most of the music, and I became really attached to it.

My only effects were an [Electro-Harmonix] Big Muff and an Ibanez wah. I like the Ibanez because you can make adjustments without taking it apart, and it has a bass setting that sounds more like an envelope filter than a wah. I used that on “Naked in the Rain.”"

I'm not sure about the 57 and 58 strats, 'cause in funky monks he certainly uses 60's models. Live I think he used as you said the WH 10, the Big muff & the CE 1. He probably also used the Boss DS 2.

/>I think he used a CS-3 as well, for Under The bridge.

I don't think the CS-3 was out back then - he definitely didn't use one,he used an old Dyna Comp

I'm pretty sure he didn't use a CS-3. The MXR Dyna Comp apparently.

Off topic: I find the CS-3 quite noisy and the tone control is not very useful.

He couldn't of had a Big Muff at that point, he was using a Boss FZ-3 in 1998, then a Russian Big Muff and then a USA Big Muff in about 2000. Why would he use a Big Muff in the early 90's, then a Boss Fuzz and then two different models of the Big Muff?! Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make sense too me..

/>He couldn't of had a Big Muff at that point, he was using a Boss FZ-3 in 1998, then a Russian Big Muff and then a USA Big Muff in about 2000. Why would he use a Big Muff in the early 90's, then a Boss Fuzz and then two different models of the Big Muff?! Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make sense too me..

Because he is just like any other gearhead, he wants to try anything and everything that he can get his hands on.

John definitely used a Big Muff. He said it in an interview ;)/>

Take a look at the attachment!

post-3759-040786100 1293743596_thumb.jpg

/>John definitely used a Big Muff. He said it in an interview ;)/>

That's weird, I swear he used his DS-2 and CE-1, not just the wah and Big Muff. Also the info in my last post is slightly wrong, he got rid of his Russian Big Muff in about 2001/2002 and then got his USA model in 2004!! It doesn't make sense even more now :/ Has it in BSSM, get's rid of it for a FZ-3, gets a Russian, gets rid of that and doesn't get an American one until 2004, wtf :L

/>

That's weird, I swear he used his DS-2 and CE-1, not just the wah and Big Muff. Also the info in my last post is slightly wrong, he got rid of his Russian Big Muff in about 2001/2002 and then got his USA model in 2004!! It doesn't make sense even more now :/ Has it in BSSM, get's rid of it for a FZ-3, gets a Russian, gets rid of that and doesn't get an American one until 2004, wtf :L

He used his DS2 on the BSSM tour, that's for sure.

Maybe he just wanted to try out some new fuzz pedals and then he came back to the USA Muff.In the end he replaced it with the english muff'n so I think he was just trying out some fuzz pedals. He's not like The Edge who wants exactly the sound from the studio ;)/>

/>

He used his DS2 on the BSSM tour, that's for sure.

Maybe he just wanted to try out some new fuzz pedals and then he came back to the USA Muff.In the end he replaced it with the english muff'n so I think he was just trying out some fuzz pedals. He's not like The Edge who wants exactly the sound from the studio ;)/>

Exactly, Frusciante always wants to change himself, which means changing his gear, whereas the Edge kinda plays it safe really xD