Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AzteC

JF's pickups

15 posts in this topic

What kind of pick ups does frusicante generally use on his strats? Especially the old beat up one. I've heard seymour duncan antiquities, is this true?

Antiquities on the strats, the original pickups on anything from that era are toast if the thing's been moved or used enough. Just bear in mind that Frusciante's not even too sure what he's playing as far as pickups go; in some interview he mentioned how he thought they were the original pickups and was eventually told they were Seymour Duncan antiquities. Just know he's going for a warm, vintage tone rather than a more modern, bright tone and you'll have no trouble finding the right pickups.

Edit:

Looks like you're fresh here, but there's a separate forum full of gear snobs to help you get the gritty details of Frusciante's equipment down to the letter. (It's actually called the "Gear Snobs" forum.) This isn't really a high-traffic forum where sticking it in the wrong place is gonna end the world for you, but you might get better responses looking in the right places.

Best of luck,

George

Give a listen to these pickups, from Bare Knuckle Pickups... they're called "Mother's Milk" pups hahah. Listen to the demo clips too lol they actually sound decent and are quality hand-made.

http://www.bareknuck...up=mothers_milk

listen to "alternative" sound clip, at the end it sounds like john's

/>What kind of pick ups does frusicante generally use on his strats? Especially the old beat up one. I've heard seymour duncan antiquities, is this true?

Seymour Duncan SSL-1's... I have them and they are spot on

/>

What kind of pick ups does frusicante generally use on his strats? Especially the old beat up one. I've heard seymour duncan antiquities, is this true?

How do you know if John uses these? Or are they just a recommendation. My Strat is a 97 62 reissue with texas specials. It sounds close to SRV.

Ok, I'm really intersted on this. But I feel like there's a lot of confusuion, Fru said that he put SD vintage on the '62 Strat. Then I remember something like John tech saying the he uses Antiquities, but what kind ?? Surf or Texas ?? I remember someone in a forum said that were Surfs

But check this out

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those pickups on the Strat don't look like SD Antiquities

Look more like this

Posted Image

So what's the deal ?? which are the real pups that John is using?

Truth is, john doesnt know for sure, neither does his tech or anyone who he has bought a guitar from. I have a vintage '62 with original equipment and a custom replica that I put in 3 antiquity pickups, and they are spot on to the vintage tone for sure. If you go with the antiquity set and you want true vintage tone, then you need to get 3 neck pickups. Vintage fender guitars did not use reverse wound pickups in the middle, and the bridge had the same output as the neck.

Interesting observation! Looks to me like the SSL-1s have a little more radius to them then the antiquities. Maybe they are SSL-1s???

I can tell you that in my opinion if JF is using Antiquities they are much more the Surf flavor than the Texas. Based on samples I have heard online. IMO.

Your pictures look spot on thought. I just can't imagine John and his tech getting the brand wrong...

/>Truth is, john doesnt know for sure, neither does his tech or anyone who he has bought a guitar from. I have a vintage '62 with original equipment and a custom replica that I put in 3 antiquity pickups, and they are spot on to the vintage tone for sure. If you go with the antiquity set and you want true vintage tone, then you need to get 3 neck pickups. Vintage fender guitars did not use reverse wound pickups in the middle, and the bridge had the same output as the neck.

Wow. I didn't know that, so, Fender used the same strat pickup in all positions ?? which is the downside of doing that ?? Imbalance? Neck pickup would sound very agressive and Bridge may sound low right ??

The neck still sounds very warm, the middle sounds alot like the neck, the bridge is still very aggressive sounding, just doesnt have the outrageous output and "harshness" of a modern bridge pickup. There is a bit of buzzing because you only use a three selector switch as well, which i like better anyways.

And John and his tech don't know because he bought the guitar at guitar center when anthony gave him the money for it. The thing was 37 years old and had newer pickups in it. They didn't install them, so they aren't really sure. I am not even 100% positive the ones in my 1962 are originals.

/>

How do you know if John uses these? Or are they just a recommendation. My Strat is a 97 62 reissue with texas specials. It sounds close to SRV.

It was from an interview.

again, I have to say, the picture is not John's strat, it's a DIY replica, so don't rely on it for 100% true data ;)/>

I can't find the exact interview, but I'm pretty sure I've read Dave saying they were sure the guitar was all original and when they opened it they found SD Antiquities inside. He also said John's '55 strat has original pickups inside and they sound exactly the same as Antiquities.

I guess the problem is SD go so far to replicate the sound and the look of the original pickup without labeling it in any way, so one finds it hard to determine the originality of the p-up

As far as surf or texas, I'd say surf, with texas being fat sounding overwound pickups, which just wouldn't sound the way it does

The picture one? I'm 168% sure it's not John's

BTW, I've merged the two topics, as they were both about JF pickups, just in case anyone wonders what happened to the other one ;)/>