Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrFrooshontay

New Album Announced! - PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone

90 posts in this topic

Not only do we get Letur-Lefr but we get a full album in september called PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone! The details come from the man himself on http://www.johnfrusciante.com

Check out the full details and then post your jubilation!! I'll start: WHHOOO!!!!

1 person likes this

Wow, this almost doesn't seem legit, although I am sure it is. Well I'm excited, a note from John and everything.

Ok, my head is spinning. I just pre-ordered the vinyl and hi-res versions of Letur-Lefr! It came with an immediate download of one of the tracks entitled: Glowe. The track definitely sounds like John. Also there is an official John Frusciante twitter account?!? No tweets have been made as of now. I so badly don't want to believe this after what seems like ages of no John Frusciante. Like I said, my head is spinning!!!

Wow, like kilta said, truly amazing, like god announcing he's releasing a new chapter of the bible lol. From what I got out of the letter: the first EP is gonna be what he was working on in 2010, which I assume is electronic in nature and probably spans a few different genres and vocal styles from the "MCs" he mentioned. I know he likes and is fairly known in the hip hop community so I can only guess how that will play out.

The LP I think is the kind of album we as fans have come to expect since TROWFTD, but with a continued progression of what he's been doing since The Empyrean. Prog Synth Pop is an interesting description, which makes me think of some of the trippier elements of The Empyrean as well as the synthy/pop feel of Shadows and TROWFTD.

I have yet to preorder but probably will shortly after posting this, great news for Frusciante fans and for music in general.

Almost forgot to comment on the names, I thought Letur Lefr was a little out there but jeez, PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone? quite a mouthful, lI'll probably just abbreviate it to PBX FIZ in further posts. But, the man's certainly got an originality and creativity all his own, and I can only guess at the meaning of this particular album title.

There's an official Twitter account, yes, just like said before, but nothing on it. And the retweets are going an odd way, too, the permalinks are being mad; but all of that can and will likely be improved. ;)/>

Has any non-USA people got the free download yet? I've ordered the vinyl but no "immediate" download of Glowe?

Hi, kalfulutin. :)/>

Some people reported download problems. If you're having them too, describe them here:

http://www.yourforumisgluedtoasiteonfire.net/topic/5153-ordering-letur-lefr-problems-and-questions/

Also, let this be our thread for PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone. If you want to discuss Letur Lefr, go here:

http://www.yourforumisgluedtoasiteonfire.net/topic/5146-new-solo-release-letur-left-ep-coming-this-summer/

Haha I found all this stuff last night right before going to sleep and now I just woke up. I wasn't sure at first if just a dream, but nope, it's all happening!

I've listened to "Glowe" a LOT already. I can see it being slightly similar to Swahili Blonde in regards to the emphasis on percussion. It also reminds me of early 90s hip hop, but like tripped out as the sounds keep evolving and changing (ala the Empyrean). I like that the guitars are the constant sound that don't evolve while the drums are constantly being altered sonically and pattern-wise. It's kind of the opposite of The Empyrean where the drums would stay consistent in a song and the guitars would be changing. Very cool stuff!

It is ending up being hard for me to explain how much i like the ways these albums seem to be. :)/>

part of it is there is so much that is abstract about them I feel like I have still just woken up and eventually found out about it only to think, this seems more like how new artwork would look in a dream or be named in a dream, but then I say, no, I am definitely awake, and then it is a slight loop of experiences from there.

Most of all I think you can sort of tell that these are some of the recordings/works that John has enjoyed the most. i like the idea that suddenly we will hear John's music with MC verses : )

and also that PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone ( :kitty:/> :wub:/> :happystar:/> ) may end up being one of the most unique albums i have heard so far in life, and probably not just for me! ... John has been very creative about reapproaching music from new perspectives.... at the risk of exaggerating i will still say, he has been creative about being creative about reapproaching music from new perspectives! :)/>

Here's the track listing for PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone and its apparent Japanese bonus tracks, as per this link:

• Intro/sabam
  • Hear say
  • Bike
  • Ratiug
  • Guitar
  • Mistakes
  • Uprane
  • Sam
  • Sum
  • Walls and Doors 29 (Bonus Track)
  • Ratiug (acapella version) (Bonus Track)

Two tracks named guitar ^^ I so wish it the album to hav more songs but maybe those are very long...

Maybe Ratiug and Guitar have a connection like Enough Of Me and One More of Me? Would make sense. Sam and Sum could flow into each other as well.

I love the new life these things bring to the human beings and this forum.

BTW: Do you think Walls and Doors 29 is some remix of Walls and Doors? Or the same song? I don't know how to think about it.

John always leaves us to solve 'mysteries' like these... we all probably have like 1000 questions and thoughts in our heads and just some assumptions... Don't know 'bout you, but I love this uncertainty!

Some people would and will say, it's very special that John made a song called Guitar :)/> (and ratiug)

it is really special actually if you remember that some of his ancestry is from the place where six string guitars first appeared on the planet.

guitars were around prior to this , but this ended up being the guitar that mystified and inspired... and continues to mystify and inspire people and culture.

The earliest extant six string guitar was built in 1779 by Gaetano Vinaccia in Naples, Italy. The Vinaccia family of luthiers is known for developing the mandolin.

the song titles do confirm this will be a very new experience of music and ideas. I am so happy that this music and that of Letur Lefr were new pages of the stories of life and art for John and people close to him and now will reach many others!

I know John plays many a cover in his live shows and he played Pink Floyds Jugband Blues, maybe Bike is a cover or reworking of Barretts song.

/>Two tracks named guitar ^^ I so wish it the album to hav more songs but maybe those are very long...

My God, I would never have guessed that "Ratuig" was "guitar" read from right to left.

Thanks a lot lol! :bow:/>

"PBX refers to an internal communication system. There is a natural version of this, wherein the “business or office” is a person. A funicular involves two trams connected by a cable, one going up while the other goes down. All music perpetually does this on many levels simultaneously. Intaglio is a technique in sculpture where one works on the opposite side of the image, whereby the image will eventually appear to the spectator in relief, but the angle the sculptor works from is the negation of that. In music that I like, an approach analogous to this was employed, the more so the better. Zone refers to a state of mind wherein the rest of the world seemingly disappears, and nothing matters but the union of one’s immediate surroundings with ones feelings. These four words linked together go far to describing my creative process."

As per http://johnfrusciante.com/2012/06/album-titles/

The 'Intaglio' technique may explain why John is (or definitely was) so interested in reversed sounds.

Recording guitar with the intention of flipping the tape over and playing it backwards fits perfectly with his explanation - working on the opposite side of the image and crafting it so that the spectator eventually hears the negation.

The really interesting thing is, Intaglio in music effectively allows you to be a time traveller.

/>A few months into this period, I began the recording of PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone. For years I had just approached everything one song at a time, but my experience in production now allowed me to comfortably work within a record concept while remaining completely absorbed in the process. By this time, I had found the balance that I’d been searching for, wherein the presence of a vocal and the structure of a written song actually provided me with additional freedoms as a musician.

Aspects of PBX are the realization of combinations of styles of music I saw in my head many years ago, as potentials, but which I had no idea how to execute. I’m so happy that I’ve had the opportunity to focus exclusively on music for music’s sake, and also so thankful that I got to spend all those years active in the music business whilst keeping my head in music all the time. I was free to spend most of my time playing along with records, writing, and dreaming. I have so much gratitude for everyone who made that possible.

:)/> :)/>

I feel like many people have already seen this but, it is very special!

It's from http://johnfrusciante.com/2012/07/my-recent-history/, for those who don't know.

I still have "writing and dreaming" echoing in my head. That's the creative process for us whose only instruments are words and he used those words randomly, yet they can be meaningful to someone else.

I'm so glad John did a recent history post. Reading it really allowed me to realize that he had to quit the chili peppers. It connected alot of dots, like when I think Josh Klinghoffer said the music he's doing is occupying all of his time. Part of me wanted to hold on to the idea that he would go back to the chili peppers someday soon. But now I see that going back wouldn't accomplish much. I think what hes doing now will be much more valuable and rewarding than anything he ever did in the chili peppers.

note: sorry for any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors in my post. The only device I have with Internet is my phone, and the touchscreen keyboard is about as accurate as some of Omar Rodrigez-Lopez guitar solos.

It's amazing to see someone as talented and experienced as John still be committed to learning and progressing on a daily basis. I've become a fan of electronic music over the past couple years, and I've translated a couple things from those genres over to the guitar, but the depth of thought about combining this into a "traditional" structure of a written song are far beyond anything I could envision. The discipline with which he went about it is something to be held in high regard as well. It all comes back to the main reason I listen to John, which isn't necessarily because he is a guitar god, but because he's a genius and anything he chooses to do and release will be great and mind-expanding.

Great way to keep me excited for PBX

There was an interview with Truth Hurts, one of the questions/answers was about John: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20366/title.truth-hurts-reveals-why-she-left-interscope-explains-penthouse-spread/

DX: "You also started talking about experimenting with a Rock sound and collaborating with John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Did that song ever come out?"

Truth Hurts: "He’s putting his own [Letur-Lefr] project out. I sang for his project and I’m getting a track from him for my project. You never know with John [Frusciante]. He may put it out, he may not. His thing is, he doesn’t make music for people anymore. He doesn’t have to. But the song is great that we did together. We were chilling at his house listening to one project that he did and he never released it. There’s this track on there where I was like, “Man, please let me take this cause this track is crazy!” He’s crazy on the guitar like nobody’s business. I was like, “Please let me have it!” [Laughs] Nobody’s heard it. It’s crazy. He’s like, “This is just for the archives.” I’m like, “No way. No way.” "

It says Letur Lefr in brackets, but I assume that song will actually be on PBX.

Japanese division of Tower Records have updated the track duration on their pre-order page.

• Intro/Sabam- 2:40
  • Hear Say- 3:47
  • Bike- 4:24
  • Ratiug- 6:26
  • Guitar- 2:17
  • Mistakes- 3:50
  • Uprane - 4:55
  • Sam - 4:21
  • Sum - 4:18
  • Walls and Doors - 4:01
  • Ratiug (A cappella version) -5:15

/>Japanese division of Tower Records have updated the track duration on their pre-order page.

• Intro/Sabam- 2:40
  • Hear Say- 3:47
  • Bike- 4:24
  • Ratiug- 6:26
  • Guitar- 2:17
  • Mistakes- 3:50
  • Uprane - 4:55
  • Sam - 4:21
  • Sum - 4:18
  • Walls and Doors - 4:01
  • Ratiug (A cappella version) -5:15
Those track times dont seem to make sense with the earlier report of the album being cooked on deluxe 180 gram double vinyl. from this it would seem the album is only like 35 minutes

Then according to Tower Records, the lenght (of the 9 tracks) is 36:58... way to short for a double LP. But "Walls & Doors" lenght seems to be alright... so maybe they're correct?