Chili_Pat

New EP "Outsides" - pre-order, discussion and more!

113 posts in this topic

Can anyone help an old dinosaur please? I downloaded the bonus track from the pre-order link, successfully transferred it to my iTunes library but, when I try to transfer it to my iTouch, I get an error message saying it can't be played on my iTouch. I've never had this problem before. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to be a pain but can anyone help?

Can anyone help an old dinosaur please? I downloaded the bonus track from the pre-order link, successfully transferred it to my iTunes library but, when I try to transfer it to my iTouch, I get an error message saying it can't be played on my iTouch. I've never had this problem before. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to be a pain but can anyone help?

Hey April,

It sounds like it's not agreeing with the format that the download has come in. Though that would be strange as you'd expect the download to come in the right format for Apple devices. I can't say for sure as I don't use itunes or ipods myself but I'm sure you can convert a song in your itunes library to a different format. Might be worth giving that a try before you sync it again. http://bit.ly/a7D0r

^Thanks for replying Endless_Motion. Appreciate it and I'll see what I can do re converting it.

(I must appear a little bit stupid to some of you but when I went to school we didn't have computers! I probably left school before most of you were born! I've had to learn as I've gone along).

Not at all April! I left school around ten years ago just before the ipod boom came into play and whilst in some ways the technology made things easier for the most part there's always annoying little problems like this that crop up and spoil the fun. I still use my old cassette walkman from time to time when I feel the need to return to more simple times :)

If you have no luck converting the song in itunes I'd be happy to convert it for you if you send me a private message. Best of luck!

Back on topic I feel like the more I listen to Outsides the more my brain is able to understand and appreciate it. It's clearly not going to work for everybody's tastes but I hope even for those that don't particularly enjoy the new ground John's exploring right now, can still appreciate the dedication and ability it clearly takes to produce this kind of music. I've read a lot of nonsense from disgruntled supposed Frusciante fans, that seems to have turned their back on him now he's not writing songs in the traditional sense. Whilst everyone has their own tastes it seems ridiculous to me to dismiss his new found way of working even if the end result doesn't do much for your ears.

I was completely blown away by Letur Lefr and whilst I've found PBX and Outsides to be slightly more challenging listens I genuinely believe a lot of it is down to the way our brains process sound and song writing methods. It's probably mostly the way John cuts up the drum sequences and samples on PBX and Outsides (more so Outsides) that seem to freak out some listeners because it's not adhering to "perfect" grid based beats that the average mind can happily keep time with and know where they stand. It's a real abstract approach that John works with now and I just hope that's not lost to those that don't get it. I'm not saying everybody should like it or anything but a real open mind and lots of listening goes a long way and with each listen you're able to pick out real beauty in the tracks. It's just constructed in a different way than what we're used to hear with John's older work.

There's also nothing more disappointing than an artist playing it safe and staying within the lines of past success and working methods. In my opinion the mark of a true artist is to keep evolving and changing direction and in that sense he's probably the perfect example.

But hey even if it's still not your cup of tea that doesn't take anything away from the spirit that is John Frusciante and the beautiful art he's given to the world over the past 25 years. Personally I can't wait to hear what's next!

1 person likes this

^ I left school in 1977 lol, but thanks for your kind comments and offer. I may need to get back to you on that....

I think sometimes the "music" part of my brain must be wired differently from a lot of people when I think about some of the music I've obsessed over over the years! For me, I've listened to and loved John's last three releases much more than any of his 2004 releases. And I think I must be in the minority of people who really enjoys Breathiac?

Edited by brummieapril

I think I'm probably with you on that one. The 2004 records have never captured my mind quite like Niandra, TROWFTD, From the sounds inside or the more recent releases since Letur Lefr. I guess that just goes to show what an artist John is as he's released such a wide variety of sounds and genres. Some fans will love the 2004 releases and not enjoy this latest stuff quite so much, whilst some will love everything he's ever done. Something for everyone for sure.

I adore Shelf. It's got a lovely blend of this new abstract "out" music as John describes it before it beautifully blends back into a trademark melodic Frusciante vibe in the second half. Executed so, so well. Something about the synths in that remind me a little of Flim by Aphex Twin and in a complimentary kind of way. Maybe more the vibe than anything else.

Is a new LP expected sometime soon as PBX was after Letur Lefr or is there no news on that front just yet? Time for another listen of Outsides now with all this talk.....

Edited by Endless_Motion

I was completely blown away by Letur Lefr and whilst I've found PBX and Outsides to be slightly more challenging listens I genuinely believe a lot of it is down to the way our brains process sound and song writing methods.

I am glad to be thinking about this, thank you for a great writing! : ) I was thinking earlier tonight about how some music and art can be similar to ground whose nutrients do not deplete but keep replenishing. Exploring some of the early inspiration for Radiohead/The King of Limbs and seeing a mini documentary about an outsider artist, i was awestruck and happily overwhelmed by how "nutrient rich" the artist's simple atypical drawings were and are.

John has tended to carefully create very balanced aural/creative ecosystems. If someone asked me what it is about the work brought about by John and his different groups over the years that i think is what makes it so special, i would say that's why. :)

1 person likes this

John has tended to carefully create very balanced aural/creative ecosystems. If someone asked me what it is about the work brought about by John and his different groups over the years that i think is what makes it so special, i would say that's why. :)

So true.

:wub:

I was thinking earlier tonight about how some music and art can be similar to ground whose nutrients do not deplete but keep replenishing.

Beautifully put :)

1 person likes this

Thanks very much : ) :)

I think that Outsides especially expresses/makes clear in an open-ended way some of the lesser known ways that music can be like nature. In some music there can be melodies and aural textures that evoke the feelings of being a person in nature, then there is music that causes one's imagination to feel like trees, ground, hills, oceans themselves.

On a tangential note there was a unique experience this year on a drive by myself in the southern desert of california to visit the water area called the "salton sea" which actually ended up being very barely inhabited with only very small short buildings, adding to the unique effects the area had on music. Listening to To Record Only Water on this mini journey... the experience of the songs felt completely different from normal. I love when music can change unexpectedly when allowed to exist in an unusual natural environment!

1 person likes this

This could be a fabulous new topic of its own, as I'm sure we all can remember situations when this or that album were much clearer or stronger than usual.

BTW, you got zoned out. That's what it was.

I had a dream last night about the most beautiful John Frusciante song ever made. It consisted of 3-5 sections, lasted about 9-11 minutes and doesn't exist.

When I listened to "Same" on Outsides today I got some of the same feelings as in the dream.

I remember thinking about how I could get this song sound like the best way possible, wanting to listen to it again, but then my mother came home and I woke up :(

1 person likes this

Did you read the interview for Guitar Player, April 2014 and did you read it recently? John mentions something similar, that the first Trickfinger song came to him in a dream. Could be your subconscious playing.

http://invisible-movement.net/press/2014-04-guitar-player

Was there a specific experience that led to your getting more deeply involved in electronic music?
I had a dream in which I was sitting in my house listening to a 20-minute-long piece of music that I'd made out of nothing but samples. It was one band followed by another, with sort of segueing elements between them. There was a Beatles section, a Pink Floyd section, a Talking Heads section, etc. So, I listened to the whole thing in my dream and the last thing I thought before waking was, "Once you've done this, you'll be able to do anything."

Throughout the next year, I worked on recreating that piece, little by little. It was intimidating at first, but by the time I had completed the entire 20 minutes, about eight months later, I had come to feel that sitting down with a bunch of samples was the same thing as sitting down with my guitar. You can stream the piece online. It's called "Sect In Sgt", released under the name Trickfinger.

1 person likes this