Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
07killta

Who here knows how to play Snow?

12 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about just knowing the main riff. Who here knows how to play the whole song at the right tempo, and can play it all the way through without slowing down or missing more than a handful of beats? I've been "learning" this song for about a year now and am finally feeling somewhat comfortable the whole way through. Does anyone else know what I mean or am I just soft? Anyone else tackled the song until they got it all down?

I don't think Snow is THAT hard to play all the way though. If you have to sing backing vocals while playing THIS is the real challenge. But with some practice I wouldn't say it's a problem. I played it live with my band two times and it went very well. Due the fact we were a metal band we didn't play it anymore hahahahahahaha

1 person likes this

See, I still am learning how to play without singing, and it's kinda hard for me since I just started playing the guitar last year (and to be clear, when I say "playing", I mean doing more than just strumming basic chords). But, well, every little song in this world takes time to learn, and practice leads to perfection.

Yeah I've been playing only a couple of years so Snow has been a good "warm up" exercise everyday when I pick up the guitar. Practice does make perfect! And I would absolutely love to see Snow played by a metal band! Do you got any recordings of that?

Sadly not. We didn't have many gigs and we broke up last year. Due the fact two of us 4 were studying and I have to work a lot we only played one time in a week together and searching for gigs wasn't that easy 'cause we only had one car. Everyone of us just wanted to play in a little rehearsal place with friends - now I'm the only one who's still in Germany.

I feel the hardest part of this song (and I guess with learning guitar) is polishing it and making sure you can play everything consistently to a high standard. This is something I've only really realised recently when I have been getting into music production and recording.

Yeah I know that feeling. The first few recordings I ever did really opened my eyes to how difficult the process can be. Which is why I admire anyone who can play Snow all the way through on command without messing up. Even John and Josh make mistakes or modify the riff or slow down the tempo on Snow when they play it live at least from what I've seen.

I think the biggest problem is building up the stamina to keep going all the way through, as well as keeping the clarity... but yeah, the only thing you can do is practice.

of course you can always modify songs to make them your own and change things up a bit.

I really have problems with this riff. I feel like I've got the speed but it just doesn't sound natural when I play it. It sounds a bit stressed/forced. I also got some real problem to keep going through the whole song. I don't know what it is. It's one of my procrastinating riffs, and it has been so for quite a long time now, so I got nothing to blame on.

The trick is to play really relaxed while having a good speed to your picking hand. I mean, even John was slowing it down a bit in 2006/2007 live but sweeping really helps to get this relaxed feel of your left hand while playing fast.

I remeber that I first taught myslef to play it one way and then I saw in RHCP concert and figured out that John played it with alternate picking and thus I realised this way is much much easier and sounds right. Josh on the other hand doesn't play it with alternate picking and he sounds nowhere near to the recording. Just saying... :)

I didn't try to say you should sweep the riff lol It's not about the right hand, it's more about the left hand. I think playing fast is easy, but playing clear and articulated is hard.

And you're right with the John/Josh playing style.