Iva

JF Question and Answer Thread

33 posts in this topic

Do you have a question related to John and his music that you cannot find an answer to?

Ask in this thread and somebody who knows will reply to you.

Make sure you ask real questions - e.g. who was at some concert, what instrument is on that song, what shoes were those and so on. Not smoke-and-mirrors, what-if, coulda-woulda-shoulda type of questions. Those usually deserve their own threads and can't be responded to with a precise answer.

Example question: "Was Jugband Blues played at the first solo show in London in 2001?"

Do you want to respond to somebody else's question?

Please, make sure you have the answer or anything that could help somebody else think of "ah, that's it!". Just like there should not be smoke-and-mirrors, what-if, coulda-woulda-shoulda type of questions, there should not be such answers.

Example answer that solves the matter: "Yes, here is the setlist. http://invisible-movement.net/gig/2001-01-27 ."

Acceptable answer that helps somebody else solve it: "Likely. That song was a staple of the TROWFTD tour."

Unacceptable answers: Madonna has a song named Borderline. // This contributes to world peace and here is a random painting that reminds me of that show.

Please, search the site and the board before you ask. Thank you.

1 person likes this

At the 19-03-2001 Roxy gig what is it he's drinking in between songs? Water? herbal stuff? kava? Always wondered what it was.

So, a few years ago (probably 6 years or something like that) I found this youtube video called "Chicago morning train to the sounds of John Frusciante", there was this whole discussion and comments on youtube about whether it was him or not playing the song, the video only showed some scenes recorded on the train and there was this awesome music playing along, no scenes of him playing whatsoever, I gotta say it sounded a lot like him though ... now, the problem is that yesterday I tried to find it again and noticed they deleted it. Did anyone have the chance to hear it? record it? Any ideas about the real composer? Was it actually John playing some unknown/unreleased song?

All I could find while googling is this website where they posted the video, back in February 2000.... http://redhotchilepe...frusciante.html

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Does anybody know why John didnt reissue the shadows collide with people LP ?

I get the point in not re-realeasing stuff like nianda, but shadows and to record only water are missing.

Very sad, has it something to do with Josh playing a a big part on shadows maybe?

Hey Towomba,

I don't know for sure but there aren't reissues of these LPs 'cause he released them under Warner Bros - and it looks like they're not ready or interested into an re-release.

Also, Niandra cannot be re-released on a LP because it wasn't released on a LP in the first place.

Iva, could it not be transferred? pretty irrelevant but i'm interested!

I guess my reply didn't make much sense. I just said that something that wasn't released can't be re-released. They'd have to do it for the first time. Sorry, should've explained it.

Thanks for the replies.

@Jordy: You could easily go to vinyl-press anywhere near your location and get some mp3s on LP. I don´t know about copyright stuff, but in germany we have some shops offering that.

Does anybody know if there ever was a vinyl edition of to record only water? I read somewhere it only came out on CD.

And another thing: What live solo / project stuff did Frusciante ever release or offer quite officially on his page? I read (again ;), german forum) that he offered the Knitting Factory audios on his site? Is that true? The stuff on here is good, but all seem to be fan recordings? (please correct me if im wrong). Some soundboard, highquality stuff would be huge :)

Kind regards

^

1) TROWFTD came out on CD and cassette. No vinyl.

2) John offered From The Sounds Inside and the demos and acoustic versions of SCWP. Then we have Here, Air and the last bunch of songs you can still see on his page.

1 person likes this

Performance 2 was streamable on the official website in 2004, too. I think that's what Towomba was referring to. :)

Performance 2 was streamable on the official website in 2004, too. I think that's what Towomba was referring to. :)

Exactly :) Soundboard recording? Is that available anywhere?

Anyone know what sort of music John Frusciante listens to? Or certain artists?

Wait, there's A LOT more, I just didn't get to collect all the sources for you yet. ;) And welcome!

I want to know what's next for John musically.

I think we all want to know the answer to that one! haha

i watched the movie 'less than zero' recently. red hot chili peppers are in this, and i think that john frusciante is also, maybe? (on the stairs as jami gertz walks down in the one club scene [about 1:00:30] he wouldve been 16 or 17 at the time and wasnt in the band yet, but was a big fan so sorta makes sense that he wouldve/couldve been at the shoot. can anyone confirm or refute this?

I want to know what's next for John musically.

according to a recent japanese interview, he is now making music for himself, without the intention of releasing something. He is also giving a shot to noise music, as he says, without any rythm or order.

To me this looks like another phase where he is learning something new, but honestly, I'm not very excited about it.

And to clarify, the trickfinger record is not his new stuff, he made it 8 years ago.

according to a recent japanese interview, he is now making music for himself, without the intention of releasing something. He is also giving a shot to noise music, as he says, without any rythm or order.

To me this looks like another phase where he is learning something new, but honestly, I'm not very excited about it.

It is helpful that someone asked Omar (Rodriguez Lopez) many years ago and he said that John was making music for himself then as well , to the point of a huge number of songs/recordings existing. Then John was able to have a lot to work with to create the albums. He at least knows how all of the released music fits into the larger ecosystem of what was being created, it would make sense to us too if we knew of it! :):bigeyedsmiley:

Edited by patches

Hi,

me and a friend would've liked to see the rhcp concert they gave for viva zwei (viva plus) or maybe the regular viva or -maybe- even mtv, it was on top of a skyscraper and during the by the way era, in Germany, possibly? Do you know when the concert was, in which venue, on which tv channel and if there's a video recording of the whole thing somewhere? Thank you very much for your help! Greetings, Janis