Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m-80

Article about John's favorite music in a japaneze magazine

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

few years before I had a scan of some japanese magazine, where I believe top 100 albums of John were listed.

There're were such artists as Germs, Fad Gadget, Fennesz, Genesis, etc.

Ive listened about 20% of them, and lost this files somewhere.

Does anyone have scans of this article?

If so could you share?

Thanks!

Cool article, definitely a few things I need to listen to in this. Pat is this the full article?

Before the part of his favorite albums there are some cool pictures of him, I can upload them later for you, if you want.

Pat replied before I could think of how to phrase everything, but this is from a book named Style Series, volume 01, published by Shinko Music Book in Japan in 2007. There's an entire book on John, with old interviews from Crossbeat, a lot of photos and detailed gear information.

I've been wanting to scan that book in the highest resolution and dimensions possible for the site, but I'm still not sure on how to do so without damaging the book, which is somewhat priced on eBay and in similar places nowadays.

Oh wow! Sounds amazing and would be very interesting I'm sure! If you didn't want to scan it could you photograph it in high resolution? Or would that just be no good as its essentially the same thing... Also has any of it been transcribed at all?

Pat, I would love to see those photos if you could upload them at some point that would be great!

The pages Pat has are, if I'm not wrong, those that have been circling around since mid-2007, from the same series as the above list.

I'll try to figure out a way to get the best out of the magazine.

@Jordy

Sure, no problem! I hope Iva can figure out a way to add them in better quality :)

cm64p60z1itol8hzt.jpg

cm64p93qnoi9t9kpl.jpg

cm64pck4t4l4iavx5.jpg

cm64qfkx453cktu6x.jpg

cm64qi8kmwhufsf15.jpg

cm64qll44wfudap09.jpg

cm64qrau57e15rfvd.jpg

cm64qvab8c6p66psp.jpg

cm64s878te4051h5l.jpg

cm64sc1olv6wkrqc9.jpg

cm64seybd7x03wnix.jpg

cm64shy4migbsaxw9.jpg

cm64skhsodmssjcih.jpg

cm64u29ipf8nre0pl.jpg

cm64u55pq3kkcrift.jpg

cm64u7nd7winqni8p.jpg

cm64ua8rmp70cknx5.jpg

Cheers Pat. Some cool pictures that I hadn't seen before.

@Iva oh cool, I'll have a look on the website! Also that would be really cool if you could. I'm really keen to read this now! No rush though... obviously! :)

This is sooo awesome! I've only listened to about 11-12 of those. I have to make sure I listen to them all :)

I listened to all of them but the März one, which I cannot find.

And the more I listen and watch first John-era RHCP, the more I think he wanted to...sort of...be Matthew Ashman of Adam and the Ants/Bow Wow Wow/Chiefs of Relief/Agent Provocateur. :P

I've been listening a lot to three Captain Beefheart records in the past few weeks. I know John listened a lot to Captain Beefheart during the writing of Niandra and Blood Sugar and I can certainly here some influnce.

Btw, is there a topic where one can post their like "top 20" or something records and explain we they like them and or recommend for others to hear them? Cause I kind of want to share to the rest of the people on the message board my favourite stuff I've ever listened to so far :) It would be nice

1 person likes this

I've been listening a lot to three Captain Beefheart records in the past few weeks. I know John listened a lot to Captain Beefheart during the writing of Niandra and Blood Sugar and I can certainly here some influnce.

Btw, is there a topic where one can post their like "top 20" or something records and explain we they like them and or recommend for others to hear them? Cause I kind of want to share to the rest of the people on the message board my favourite stuff I've ever listened to so far :) It would be nice

That would be an awesome idea for a new topic in the General Music Discussion, so feel free to open it yourself. :)

I listened to all of them but the März one, which I cannot find.

That record (its from 2004) is actually on spotify Iva :)

You need to search for "März wir sind hier", as simple as it gets, if you haven´t tried. Couldn´t find it on youtube though, but spotify has it.

By the way: his red Strat isn´t shell pink. You always read about it being fiesta red, and shell pink looks more like this: http://www.musikhaus-hermann.de/xtv/media/images/Prod/a40649.jpg

Edited by Towomba

Spotify means nothing to me, the same way iTunes doesn't. Thanks, though.

This list is gold! I've started to go through this list now... on Spotify. ;)

Is it OK to have a total nerdgasm over how those pictures contain the serials to John's main guitars?

2 people like this

Is it OK to have a total nerdgasm over how those pictures contain the serials to John's main guitars?

Totally. :) Welcome to the board, fellow nerd.

I am taking this book to be scanned at the copy shop sometime next month, so, if my computer allows me to edit the images for posting, expect to see all of this, soon. The backlog of unpublished stuff is huge, but this is something a lot of people want to see.

1 person likes this