Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iva

Enclosure - 03 - Run

6 posts in this topic

A topic to discuss this particular song, its qualities, lyrics, music instruments used and whatnot - as per the forum's tradition, that dates back to The Empyrean days.

There's a melody quote from "Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie, "I'm happy you're happy here".

I think it's been pretty cool that John is playing with the influence of one of his favourite artists :)

1 person likes this

Does this mean a sample or something else?

He's "quoting", so to say singing the same melody, as David Bowie in the Pre-Corus to Ashes to Ashes.

[e.g. at 0:36]

in your video to Run, it's at 0:48.

So, not a sample, a (very) small cover so to say ;)

Edited by Iva
Always add a new line after a video or an image.

I am not big on that song, I usually skip it (more into earlier and later stuff), so I had no idea. Either way, it does not sound the same at all, nor is the line same.

Run was not my favourite when the album was released, but at this point, it might even be my favourite on the album. It stands as such a dark contrast to the common favourite and the most accessible song.

Well, the lyrics are in the line of it (I'm happy hope you're happy too) so is the melody more or less... (I'm happy you're happy too)

Plus, the song changes so drastically at that moment [in Run] that I think it's definately a nod to bowie. At least to me, I can understand the workflow of working on a song and suddenly another song comes to mind and you're making your own version of it.