Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ratiug

Help with key changes when covering songs

4 posts in this topic

I was listening to "Song To The Siren" on Frusciante's "The Empyrean" album and I learned it off by ear and then I tried to play along with the original and the song was of a completely different key (original is D major and cover is C minor). So I wrote down both scales with the individual degrees (I, ii, iii, IV, V etc.) and I'm trying to make sense of how Frusciante changed a major song into a minor without it sounding completely different (You have to admit, he has managed to keep it sounding like the original in a way). I've also had the same problem with Arctic Monkeys' cover of Tame Impala's "Feels Like We're Only Going Backwards" but that cover's theory is slightly different. Can someone help me to understand this concept and also leave some suggestions of what songs I should cover by using this method, please and thank you.

I edited your topic title, as per board rules:

- Topic/thread title MUST MAKE SENSE. It should be readable, descriptive, written properly and it should clearly explain what you're talking about.

For example, the following topic titles don't make sense:

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!
Help me?
Question about a song

1 person likes this

Most of the times when someone does a cover they just change the key to better suit their voice, rarely do they change the actual tonality of the key unless they're doing a representation of the song, not a literal cover.

So the same is for this song, it's actually in Bb. The verses are I-V-IV-vi and the chorus is I- VII-vi-Isus4-vi-V-IV-vi.

Tim Buckley's version is the same, and there are several different version where he plays in a different key so it's actually a great song to learn- listen to all the different live versions and recorded versions, they're all in different keys, but they all have the same progression.

From an initial listen the Tame Impala/Arctic Monkeys song does use a different progression but I can explain why. Tame Impala is in the key of F and Arctic Monkeys cover is in the key of G. The cover version uses a I-V-IV progression for the hook (check out Knockin' On Heavens Door) whereas the original uses a I-V-ii. The ii is interchangeable with the IV because they're relative to each other, Gm and Bb share the notes Bb and G (the root and 5th in Bb and the Root and 3rd in the Gm). You can also think about it as if they were C and Am or G and Em (I find those to be easier to grasp in a way). So play Tame Impalas version but replace the Gm with a Bb and it will sound relatively the same. It's all about movement.

So Tame Impala is F-C-Gm and Arctic Monkeys is G-D-C.

Everything else is the same except the Arctic Monkeys is using simpler chords, like in the verse where he goes from a Em-D, he just plays a normal D, but in the Tame Impala version it's Dm-Cmaj7/G.

That should be it, hopefully I explained everything the best way I could.

3 people like this

Most of the times when someone does a cover they just change the key to better suit their voice, rarely do they change the actual tonality of the key unless they're doing a representation of the song, not a literal cover.

So the same is for this song, it's actually in Bb. The verses are I-V-IV-vi and the chorus is I- VII-vi-Isus4-vi-V-IV-vi.

Tim Buckley's version is the same, and there are several different version where he plays in a different key so it's actually a great song to learn- listen to all the different live versions and recorded versions, they're all in different keys, but they all have the same progression.

From an initial listen the Tame Impala/Arctic Monkeys song does use a different progression but I can explain why. Tame Impala is in the key of F and Arctic Monkeys cover is in the key of G. The cover version uses a I-V-IV progression for the hook (check out Knockin' On Heavens Door) whereas the original uses a I-V-ii. The ii is interchangeable with the IV because they're relative to each other, Gm and Bb share the notes Bb and G (the root and 5th in Bb and the Root and 3rd in the Gm). You can also think about it as if they were C and Am or G and Em (I find those to be easier to grasp in a way). So play Tame Impalas version but replace the Gm with a Bb and it will sound relatively the same. It's all about movement.

So Tame Impala is F-C-Gm and Arctic Monkeys is G-D-C.

Everything else is the same except the Arctic Monkeys is using simpler chords, like in the verse where he goes from a Em-D, he just plays a normal D, but in the Tame Impala version it's Dm-Cmaj7/G.

That should be it, hopefully I explained everything the best way I could.

I honestly couldn't thank you enough! It made perfect sense to me and thank you :)