Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iva

The song you can't stop listening to

16 posts in this topic

Do you go through periods when you can't stop listening to a particular song JF's on? Your confessions go here. :P

My current song obsession is Scratch, for the second time this year. I love it, I would marry it if it was legal and I would most definitely be curious to hear it in the arrangement originally intended for it, if such a thing exists. :wub:

1 person likes this

Scratch is surely one of John's best songs in many ways. : ) Additionally, every part in the song (or any music anyone listens to for that matter :) ) is being played by your mind every time you listen!

(Surroundings built into me; i did not grow like a tree, rather like a building.. think of building as a verb!)

John's recording of Scratch really is like the programming code or music box switchboard, for your mind to literally become the entire song each time! This topic could playfully~alternatively be called "The song you can't stop completely recreating with your mind" ^_^:flowers:

Shelf.

One of his best tracks ever, in my opinion. I read an interview called "War and Peace" with John, where he talks about groove. I think at this point in his career he is at his best in terms of groove.

I understand how some people don't entirely like the work John has put out the past few years, but I think it's some of the best music I've ever heard. I think John is a lot more intellectual than he is given credit for. His recent work is pretty groundbreaking.

1 person likes this

Excuses.

This song just clicked with me a couple of weeks ago and now I can't stop listening to it.

I went from thinking "meh" on the first few listens to "This is brilliant". Go figure, as they say.

1 person likes this

This is one of these simple questions that I find impossible to answer properly. To begin with, the song I've been listening the most lately isn't a JF song, but a collab - A System For Shutting Everything Out. From his solo work, I can't choose a song, only a album - The Empyrean. It's probably his magnum opus, and I find it hard to choose a single song.

At the moment Dying Song is the one I listen to 10+ times a day - love the vocal harmonies in the second half of the song

Shining Desert. At least 5 times a day :)

1 person likes this

909 day

listen to it every morning when i get up

3 people like this

I have definately had a short periods of time where I become obsessed with a song. Penetrate Time/Lou Bergs from the free internet album is probably the song with most listenings. I feel like there is something really special with that recording. Hardly ever listen to it now though. My obsession was like four years ago.

Currently it's RHCP's The Righteous and the Wicked. I never cared about it before, but I suddenly love how John sings the chorus on it.

Currently it's RHCP's The Righteous and the Wicked. I never cared about it before, but I suddenly love how John sings the chorus on it.

It feels like Frusciante has captured a whole range of emotions with all of his work. After listening to his stuff regularly for over four years, I've found that sometimes I really do not connect with a work of his, but then maybe a year later, it's my favorite. I think a lot of people will experience this with his new PBX era if they hang in there.

1 person likes this

Has anyone heard the track First in Forever from Dot Hacker's album How's Your Process (Work)?

It's one of those songs that I knew I was going to be obsessed with before I could even finish my first listen. It grabbed my attention right away and it just kept getting better and more interesting throughout the song. By the time I got to the end of the song, I was a true believer, and I knew I'd be listening to this track a lot. It's been about a month, and I still can't stop listening to it. Time will tell if it holds up, but I'm guessing it will. Something about that song, it just rocks!

Has anyone heard the track First in Forever from Dot Hacker's album How's Your Process (Work)?

It's one of those songs that I knew I was going to be obsessed with before I could even finish my first listen. It grabbed my attention right away and it just kept getting better and more interesting throughout the song. By the time I got to the end of the song, I was a true believer, and I knew I'd be listening to this track a lot. It's been about a month, and I still can't stop listening to it. Time will tell if it holds up, but I'm guessing it will. Something about that song, it just rocks!

Haha I was the same way after hearing their song "Quote". Really unique stuff going on, and gotta say Klinghoffer has one magnificent voice.

Haha I was the same way after hearing their song "Quote". Really unique stuff going on, and gotta say Klinghoffer has one magnificent voice.

Agreed! I thought all of Inhibition was amazing! Literally every track, but for me Puncture, Discotheque, and Order Disorder stand out the most. Klinghoffer is doing some great things for sure. Something about the way this band creates melodies is very unique. The production is very good as well. It's really fun to listen to with good audio equipment!

heic1501b.jpg

I am very excited to try listening to Dark/Light while looking at this photo!

Many songs would be somewhat transformed by allowing them to resonate with this photo and any others:

There is something to artwork and photos that allows music to rest within, echo between and develop new qualities by way of the shapes and spaces presented.

1 person likes this