Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pehjott

New (Acid) Album as Trickfinger

65 posts in this topic

Huh, interesting. Something new to look forward to I suppose. Hopefully its got some melodic tunes on it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

1 person likes this

I don't think I'm gonna like it a lot, but it's nice to see him put the drums a little bit back.

I have updated the post on the site with pre-order links. Trickfinger is available on CD and double vinyl.

1 person likes this

Some aspects of the new song reminded me of what it is like to watch a campfire or candles... there is this unexplainable and soothing perceptual change. I found a video recording and muting the sound on this ( although it might sound ok with a campfire underneath? ) and it was a very good experience!

I found a candle video recording as well, they do move slightly and combining the song's rhythmic movement with these candles' rhythms had very surprising and nourishing feelings! music can be like this, becoming different depending upon what experiences are there in complement!

An earlier one posted has stopped working, however i've found one which, after a short and peculiar introduction has a slowly moving candle, with many crystals which has a very good combining effect with this music, and another with several candles and reflections.

Edited by patches
1 person likes this

Iva, the link took me to the error page. Not important now but maybe in the distant future. :)

John is definitely entering a new era now! He has changed hairstyle, record label, artist name and in this record he didn't use guitar at all. The style is more slow and repeating and not all over the place with crazy drum machines and such (which I though was cool though), like "patches" commented on very well. Could this be the first album without any guitar?

1 person likes this

Iva, the link took me to the error page. Not important now but maybe in the distant future. :)

John is definitely entering a new era now! He has changed hairstyle, record label, artist name and in this record he didn't use guitar at all. The style is more slow and repeating and not all over the place with crazy drum machines and such (which I though was cool though), like "patches" commented on very well. Could this be the first album without any guitar?

Yes! There is the interview from last year, where, i can't remember the exact words, but it is describing how to move on creatively it is helpful to take away what one is used to, creating a new set of what are at first restrictions and then become freedom from limits. There is less to hang on to melodically in this song in a traditional way, but even only adding a candle, for whatever reason, shows that there are new clarities and awareness of music in this way of creating too!

Yes! There is the interview from last year, where, i can't remember the exact words, but it is describing how to move on creatively it is helpful to take away what one is used to, creating a new set of what are at first restrictions and then become freedom from limits. There is less to hang on to melodically in this song in a traditional way, but even only adding a candle, for whatever reason, shows that there are new clarities and awareness of music in this way of creating too!

An interesting concept to think about for sure. Definitely something I have been and will be thinking about these days.

Though I'm not sure how much I'll like this album. Hopefully though I'm pleasantly surprised with at least one song.

1 person likes this

Yeah! It is very difficult to know the forms and places this will go. It could be all more minimal, although that can be like seeing inside of music and still having many ways that it is being experienced still mysterious, but i do think there will be a range of tempos to some extent. Before the Beginning was very different from the rest of The Empyrean and allowed the album to wake up into a vast and new space where the continuation of the music then moves, also expands and transforms.

I'm pretty sure that this intro track, with its unchanging kick and bass (I'm sure John wouldn't use his 303 such gently in a whole LP) predict way more mess and adventurous stuff for the rest of the album. At least I hope so... And it's like those multiple and gentle snares quietly announce what the album is all about.

Also I think this LP might be a collection of work from between the Empyrean and Letur-Lefr. I guess it's from 2009 or something when John was making plenty of "shitty Acid House". It's been some time I told myself I'd like to hear that Acid House John made when he learned electronic music, and I guess I'll be served.

1 person likes this

I'm pretty sure that this intro track, with its unchanging kick and bass (I'm sure John wouldn't use his 303 such gently in a whole LP) predict way more mess and adventurous stuff for the rest of the album. At least I hope so... And it's like those multiple and gentle snares quietly announce what the album is all about.

I have been appreciating that! There are so many experiences like this... Sphere, Before the Beginning, Same, and After Before, with others possible to include. Creating these parallels between works is something very immersive and feels in acknowledgement of earlier phases of the art created on this planet as well as the nature of language. ^_^

I've been listening to After Below almost nonstop since yesterday. For me it sounds like the 80s, yet, overall, it's pretty modern.

Any idea if there will be some european (especially german) music stores offering the LP or would it be wise to order it from the USA?

With some luck you can find the stuff on Amazon. But I wouldn't get my hopes up that much 'bout it.

Well, jpc.de has just listed it for preorder! Glad to be able to order it from them, good music dealer and you can save some money if you don´t have to order from the USA as an european :) Saves me around 20€ and I don´t have to visit the customhouse.

Note to Iva: maybe you could add that to the news for all our european friends?

Here is the link: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/trickfinger-john-frusciante-trickfinger/hnum/6832053?lang=en

(I´m not related to jpc in ANY WAY, of course.)

Well, jpc.de has just listed it for preorder! Glad to be able to order it from them, good music dealer and you can save some money if you don´t have to order from the USA as an european :) Saves me around 20€ and I don´t have to visit the customhouse.

Note to Iva: maybe you could add that to the news for all our european friends?

Here is the link: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/trickfinger-john-frusciante-trickfinger/hnum/6832053?lang=en

(I´m not related to jpc in ANY WAY, of course.)

Thank you! I updated the post. :)

My feeling is that he released this under the "Trickfinger" name so it doesn't get lost in his discography…it's separate from his other work. I said it on another forum, but it wouldn't surprise me, at all, if we also got a new release from John Frusciante this year, as well.

My feeling is that he released this under the "Trickfinger" name so it doesn't get lost in his discography…it's separate from his other work. I said it on another forum, but it wouldn't surprise me, at all, if we also got a new release from John Frusciante this year, as well.

Not to bum out Frusciante, errr Trickfinger as the case may be but I hope this is the case. I just don't think I'll be able to connect heavily with this album, I'm sure it'll be decent , but it's acid house and I don't think I've ever felt strong connections with acid house music. So hopefully he releases something as himself too.

Have to agree. I liked the first single, its very calm compared to other House/Techno/Acid stuff I knew to date. I´ve never feel attached to that genre. Always liked the Curtains/TWTD era records better than his new stuff, which I liked, but never fell in love with.

His singing has a huge impact for me and the Trickfinger record will probably be without any vocals. Nonetheless I´ll buy it and probably enjoy the record if I´m in the right mood.

By the way: what is this "year of the Fru" stuff? We do know about two records to look forward to: Black Knights second LP and Trickfinger, but surely theres is more to come? Where is this term coming from, any official relevance to that?

Edited by Towomba

Not "probably" without vocals, DEFINITELY without vocals. The label staff aren't friendly, but that's the thing they confirmed to me.

I was not fully sure if ``Enclosure is presently my last word on the musical statement which began with PBX`` is saying there could be more, or if the next eventual work will be from a new series of perspectives. It feels better to not know as this has been a mysterious period of work from him! which, how often is modern music still mysterious?

:) it can come close but with just a bit of additional care put into it music can go from being something familiar to being something that returns people to a healthy reality in connection with the actual depth of the human and universal experience.

Whenever there will be something it is something with which i feel very at peace; In John's writings there are simple descriptions of how he respects himself as an artist, having thought about what it actually means to be "an artist" and to create beyond all of the cultural suggestions that have built up like dust. Somehow to me that is exciting as there being something new released by him each day!

Edited by patches