Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogiiman

John´s 1962 strat... replaced 70s mint green pickguard?

7 posts in this topic

Take a look at the pictures below.

John has said in interviews earlier he wants to keep his strats as stock as possible. (concerning the duncans)

Now take a look at the pictures below.

Is this even the same guitar?

Check the grain on the lower pictures, it cant be seen at all on the top one.

Actually the top one looks kinda like and opaque sunburst, known to be common in 1963 and later?

ALSO

Check the pickguard.

The top pic is a vintage correct 1960 pickguard (check the screw hole postions and the wear for truss adjustment)

Now check the second pic.

NO truss adjust hole, and 70s screw hole positions! On top of that its even in a fake min green? (70s pickguard dont have a green hue)

Now, go mental, discuss, obsess.... :o

62df1ab2290ec5cc1234f22647cca806.jpg

tumblr_n3m2pqHPhU1txohz2o3_1280.jpg

These are not the same guitar. He has two strats that look similar but the one in the first picture is his guitar from the mid 1950's and the other guitar is from 1962.

Posted (edited)

They are the same guitar. 50s Strats (up until late 59) had maple boards  unlike the one pictured. 

The grain can't be seen as the top picture is a photo scanned from an old magazine and the second is a digital photo. 

He broke the pickguard and it has been replaced (this was after the pickups were replaced with Duncan's). The screw placement fits late '63 onwards. I know Fender sell '62 mint green pickguards with no truss rod scoop, maybe they do for '64 style as well? 

Edited by MrP

You're right that couldn't be from the mid 50's.

But fun fact he never had his pickups replaced with duncan's, they were replaced with stock american fender strat pickups according to his old guitar tech. His guitar tech said John was mistaken about the duncans.

Some of us oldies remember John coming back with the 62 strat. It was almost pristine in 98, very little wear. We have watched it age as the gigs go past. 

It doesn't surprise me about the pickups. John doesn't know the year of some of his guitars. He's a strange one in that he's a tech head in some ways but not in others. His knowledge of old synths far out ways his knowledge of vintage guitars and specs and also setups/maintenance (latter probably because someone else has done it for him since the late 80s). 

1 person likes this

This site (below) is not the easiest to navigate but it seems someone from there has spent a lot of time emailing John's old guitar tech, Dave Lee (one of the nicest guys in the biz. He let me hold one of Fru's guitars once for a photo). The site has many interesting stories about his guitars- like the battered white Strat from SA era that looked like the paint had melted off the front (John did a guitar mag cover shoot with it once), John gave to it Jack Irons son, who converted it to a lefty and still plays it! Very cool.

Anyway the first page I linked to shows the 62 Strat discussed in this thread very shortly after John got it (not the best photo but you can see how new it looks and how small the wear above the pickguard is). 

http://www.jfeffects.com.br/search/label/DaveMail

Here is another clearer one from even earlier:

tumblr_inline_npg3oe24ei1rzx8h7_400.jpg

Edited by MrP
1 person likes this

Wow that's crazy! I guess today's polyurethane coatings really do blow nitrocellulose out of the water when it comes to durability, none of my guitars have worn like that but my acoustic and I've had some of them for years. I guess the years were rough on his guitars with all the travel and play. Pretty cool to see the difference.